Wednesday, March 22, 2006

The MP3 Debate

Considering that I personally have a large collection of MP3s many which I burned from my personal cd collection :) I feel pretty strongly on the subject. So France is going to pass some legislation that opens Apple's iTunes format up to other players. Of course the "music cartel" in the US is going to have a cow about this issue. I say music cartel because well, isn't that what they are? "We're going to enmass arrest Americans for sharing music becuase the greedy bastards we are want our millions". Well how about making songs affordable to download? Why should an mp3 that's not even .wav quality be 99 cents or more ! Paleeese. How much of that do you think really goes to the artist? Very little unless the artist owns their own recording company which is far and few between.

However, with new foreign MP3 sites popping up that (for the most part) seem legit Apple and the music cartel here in the US are really going to have to take a second look at how they're screwing us over. For example: http://www.allofmp3.com/ or http://www.mp3sugar.com/ .
Enough said, your days of over pricing MP3s are over!!!!
Who said globalization was bad? :P

~Z~

5 comments:

Henry M`Bizo said...

So you rather buy mp3s from russian servers and so on for $ 1? Stuffing money in the russian mafia bosses pockets ? The musicians dont get enything from them, nothing, is that good ?

Henry M`Bizo said...

Oooops, I meant $ 1 each album.
And dont say that wav files are more worth that mp3s, its the same music.

Zelexis Wellings said...

I don't know Russian copyright law and/or how much they are required to pay to the artists (if any at all). Feel free to post any (legitimate) proof that the artists do not get royalties from the Russian sites (or any other foreign MP3 site).

I do not believe that the "music cartel" here in the US that sells songs for 99cents + per song sends most of the money to the artists. Artists get very little if any of that. Meanwhile the production companies are raking in the cash they've hit over hundred million + downloads (who's getting rich).
Until someone can prove otherwise (for the majority of bands/artists) I rest my case. I do hope that these new Russian sites will start a pricing competition. Freedom of Choice! Free global market!

~Z~

Unknown said...

Actually an artist might get..... 3% of an album sale in a retail store. I am really not sure if they get anything if purchased digitally. It all depends on their deal with the record company.

Regardless, it really doesn't matter. In a free market economy consumers will purchase goods at the lowest cost. If congress wants to make it illegal to purchase items from foreign soils, they certainly can do that. I wouldn't suggest it....but you never know. No, what is more likely is that music companies will wise up and start selling their cheap 128 k/bit wares at market prices...or just keep fleecing the momo's who don't understand simple economics.

Zelexis Wellings said...

Well recently Apple stated that 70% of iTunes cost for one song goes directly to the record label. They get the other 30%. How much of that 70% goes to the artist I do not know but I doubt it's more than 3% like Martin stated. If you want to buy into their fat wallets go for it, I'd rather not.

If I knew the artist got at least 60% of the revenue from sold song products then maybe I wouldn't mind paying the extremely high prices.

BTW they're about to up the charge for new release mp3s to around $1.30 per new song or more. Enjoy!

~Z~